How long do I need to season my logs?
- This is a difficult question to give a straight answer to, it is dependant on many factors, the storage conditions, the weather and the type of wood in question. Below are a few pointers on how to tell if your wood is well seasoned.
How to tell when your wood is well seasoned?
- Well seasoned wood, should be at 20% or less moisture content. If you don't have a moisture meter, the below signs will help you to identify well seasoned wood.
- The ends will be dark in colour and cracks will appear.
- If the bark is still present, it will peel away easily.
- When two logs are knocked together they will sound hollow.
How to store your logs?
- Your logs should be stored off of the ground, protected from the rain in a well ventilated area.
- It is important to remember that wood will rot and go mouldy if covered completely.
What type of wood are our logs?
- Predominantly Ash and Beech, please contact us and we can let you know if this will differ on your order.
Am I in a smoke controlled area?
- Your local council's website will be able to advise you if you fall into a smoke controlled area.
- See link here to the Government website on Smoke control area rules.